Saturday, December 26

Post-Christmas Post

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!  We had a lot of excitement here in the Washington, D.C. area.  The Saturday before Christmas, we woke up to about 10 inches of snow on the ground, and it kept falling all day long!  We ended up with 2 feet of snow before it stopped!  My family spent the day inside watching movies and playing card games, a favorite past time of ours.  Luckily, I had all my shopping finished.  The entire area shut down.  It was still so bad on Monday, that the government took a snow day!  This also allowed me to have my first experience shoveling snow off the driveway.  I was SO sore the next day!  How can something so light and fluffy weigh so much?  But it was very pretty and it stayed long enough for us to have a white Christmas!


The time we were all forced together in the house made it difficult for me to find time to finish my present for my mother.  These are motifs #4, #5, #5, and #6 (the middle two are the same).  They are Kindle bookmarks!  My mother has loved books for as long as I can remember.  She got a Kindle and loves being able to carry around multiple books at a time.  However, she could no longer use her accumulated collection of bookmarks.  So, I decided to make some she could use with her Kindle.  These motifs are attached to cords leading to a loop.  They are very easy and a great way to make little, 'practice' size motifs.  I learned how to make a neat join, use beads and charms and create a strong, flexible cord using only my shuttle and some imagination!


I've also been working on the Rose Tyler fingerless glove pattern.  Here is the result so far.  My knitting muse refused to either leave the bed or look at the camera.  He keeps me company while I knit here at my folks place, or do anything crafty point of fact.  I am loving this pattern.  The cables up the side are unusually tight, but simple.  This pattern also uses one of my favorite stitches, the seed stitch, in the middle of the diamonds.  It creates a really fun texture.  I'm just starting the third complete diamond of the pattern.  On the eighth row of this repeat I'm supposed to start the thumb gusset.  I've never done gloves before.  I hope I can figure it out!

1 comment:

  1. Your kitty is so funny! They are so cute...want to be in the middle of the action but nonchalantly so! LOL! I've never thought of Kindle "bookmarks". What a great idea! I guess they're a bit like a cell phone fob or scissors fob, aye?
    Well, glad to hear you had a Merry Christmas! We're looking at the year Twenty-Ten right around the corner and I hope it's a good one for us all!

    ReplyDelete