Saturday, December 19

'Tis the Season

'Tis the season for family get togethers, presents, and holiday crafting.  It's also the season for snow.  Finished with finals, I headed back east to visit my folks.  This morning, I woke up to 8-10 inches of snowfall!!!  As you may have guessed from my name, I didn't grow up in this sort of place.  I'm really looking forward to a possible white Christmas, or at least a really good snow fight with my brothers.


As far as crafting is concerned, I've been working o a few things since my last post.  This is a scarf/hat set I made for a local charity my school supports.  I have very little money to donate, but I have a lot of yarn.  So, I knit up a quick garter stitch scarf and a 2x2 rib hat out of a fun yarn in my stash I hadn't ever decided what to do with.  It's my first time working with this yarn.  It was a Yarn Bee fun yarn that had been given to me by a beginner who just couldn't quite make it work.  I believe it.  It had two very different yarns twisted together to make this yarn, and eyelash yarn and a yarn with different colored bumps every few inches.  It was interesting to knit and required much more attention than I was planning on dedicating to a charity project, but I'm glad I did.  The unusual yarn created a fun fabric that was thick and warm as well as colorful.  I donated the pair to a shelter for victims of domestic abuse.

Since that's about the extent of my knitting prowess, I'm not knitting gifts for my family.  A massive amount of scarves under the tree would probably not be appreciated.  I am tatting a present for my mother, however, since I don't know if she reads my blog, you will have to wait for the post-Christmas post to find out what it is.
I still have a new project for the Challenge however, an anklet! I tatted this based on a picture I saw in an old book in the school library.  It's a simple ring-chain-ring line.  It took me a few tries to get the ratio correct, but I like what it turned out as.  I was trying to figure out how to incorporate buttons into my tatting, this is one way.  I like it because it's a little frilly piece of jewelry and I can wear it through airport security.  :)


I am trying my hand at knitting something new.  I'm trying my hand at a pair of fingerless mittens.  I found a beautiful pattern for Rose Tyler's Fingerless Gloves.  I love the cable and seed stitch detailing.  So far it seems like a very simple pattern, but I haven't gotten to the thumb gusset yet.  I guess we'll just see how it goes!

How about you, what are you working on this fine holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment